This game has been stuck in the rumor mill and development hell for over 20 years, and due to the fan uproar after Pit’s last outing in Super Smash Bros Brawl, everyone wanted to know would he ever fly again. Last Tuesday Reggie Fils-Aime president of Nintendo of America announced that Kid Icarus Uprising would release this holiday season, fans and critics rejoiced. Check out the Full Press Release below.
KID ICARUS Uprising
Take Aim at a Timeless Adventure
Some 25 years after the original Kid Icarus™ game for NES™ captured the hearts and
imaginations of gamers worldwide, Kid Icarus™: Uprising brings the action and
adventure of this beloved series to new heights – and new visual dimensions – on the
Nintendo 3DS™ system. The dark goddess Medusa and her Underworld Army have
returned, and they’ve got their sights set on the heroic angel Pit. With the aid of
Palutena, goddess of light and guardian of the human race, Pit must fend off this
malevolent threat. The richly immersive graphics of the Nintendo 3DS system offer
incredible depth as Pit battles enemies by air and by land.
• Designed by Masahiro Sakurai – creator of Kirby™ and Super Smash Bros.™ – Kid Icarus: Uprising features
a vividly redesigned game world and a new look for Pit and other returning characters.
• Pit is unable to fly on his own, but upon receiving the “Power of Flight” from Palutena, he can soar swiftly
through the skies for about five minutes at a time. After each stage’s initial air battle, Pit enters into
• While Pit is battling in the air, the action unfolds like a dynamic guided shooter. Yet when he’s facing
enemies on land, it handles like a third-person shooter. Throughout the sprawling adventure, players
gather numerous distinctive weapons and collect treasures.
• Beyond the deep single-player adventure, Kid Icarus: Uprising also offers a thrilling and unique take on
multiplayer battles. Two teams battle against each other, whittling away their point totals as each team
member is defeated. When one team loses all its points, the last member defeated is revived as the
powerful Angel Pit. If the other team can track him down and defeat him, they will win the match,
introducing a new ebb-and-flow dynamic to multiplayer battles.
• The game includes AR Card compatibility. Using the built-in 3D camera on the Nintendo 3DS system, the
game recognizes countless specially designed AR Cards, with animated game characters popping up in
3D on the game screen and even battling each other when two cards face off.
• The game’s simple, intuitive play control has players hold the system in their left hand, while the right hand
uses the stylus on the touch screen for targeting. Their left thumb on the Circle Pad controls Pit’s
movements, and the L Button fires ranged weapons and unleashes melee attacks. The controls are simple
enough to be grasped quickly, but offer layers of depth and strategy for advanced maneuvers. A special
control option for left-handed players is also being prepared.